Wildlife, Horses & Raptors in Winter Snow
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Intermediate Amateurs, Advanced Amateurs, Professionals
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: You need to be experienced with your camera to make suggested setting changes in the field without hands-on assistance and comprehend the rationale behind the recommended settings (including exposure mode, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, metering mode, focus mode, assessing histogram and highlight information, and making corresponding exposure compensation changes). This is not a workshop to learn how to use your camera.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Participants must be in good health, able to walk on uneven snow covered terrain sometimes up hill and up to 1/4 mile with tripod/camera/lens, and able to stand in place. You must be able to carry your gear without assistance. When allowed, you may be permitted to optionally kneel on one knee and sometimes sit down during a photo session. When sitting is permitted, you are responsible for bringing a chair with you in your vehicle if you should need one. If assistance is needed to accomplish any of these physical requirements, you may at your own expense bring a non-photographer participant with you for an additional fee of $75/day. There will be no exceptions to these requirements.
Incredible photo workshop in Kalispell, Montana. With expert wildlife photography instruction before and during the workshop, and a vast array of beautiful wildlife, raptors, and horses to photograph in snowy conditions, you will capture the images you have dreamed about!
- An informative online webinar presentation that covers wildlife, raptor and horse roundup photography composition tips, camera settings, recommended gear, and a slideshow of photos (with camera settings) taken by Kathleen in the shooting locations to prepare you to maximize your camera’s potential.
- 6 raptor photo sessions. A selection of 6 birds of prey chosen from a wide selection of owls and hawks which can include Snowy Owl, Great Horned Owl, Long Eared Owl, Saw-whet Owl, Barn Owl, Pygmy Owl, Western Screech Owl, Great Grey Owl, Red-tailed Hawk, Harris’s Hawk, Swainson’s Hawk, Rough-Legged Hawk, Ferruginous Hawk and more. Photograph the birds at eye level, perched in natural settings and in fresh snow.
- 2 horse roundup photo sessions. A morning and an afternoon photo session consisting of multiple large group horse drives, with the horses running over a snowy hill towards you and plenty of opportunities to photograph the western-dressed wranglers.
- 8 wildlife photos sessions. The 8 sessions will be selected from the following species: Snow Leopard, Grizzly Bear, Mountain Lion, Arctic Fox, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Cross Fox, Silver Fox, Canada Lynx, Siberian Lynx, Tundra Wolf, Arctic Wolf, Wolf Pack, Bobcat, Coyote, Porcupine, Raccoon, Badger, Pine Marten, Fisher, Skunk and more. The animals are healthy and will have their gorgeous winter coats.
- Species not included in the cost of the 8 sessions will be offered to participants at an additional rate of $175/person/session.
- The most common lens used for all photo sessions is a 70-200mm (based on a full frame camera sensor).
- Class size is limited to 12 participants so you’ll have plenty of one-on-one time with Kathleen to ask questions and get coaching specific to your individual photographic needs.
- Pre-trip online photography instruction webinar
- All photo sessions as noted above, except for optional wildlife sessions
- Instruction and assistance throughout the workshop
- Post processing demonstration during the workshop on request
- Optional wildlife photo sessions ($175/ person/ session)
- Airfare, lodging and ground transportation
- Trip Insurance
- Gratuities for wildlife, raptor and horse staff