Snowy Owls 2021
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Intermediate Amateurs, Advanced Amateurs, Professionals
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: You need to be experienced with your camera to make suggested setting changes in the field without hands-on assistance and comprehend the rationale behind the recommended settings (including exposure mode, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, focus mode, white balance, assessing histogram and highlight information, and making corresponding exposure compensation changes). This is not a workshop to learn how to use your camera.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Participants must be in good above average health and able to walk on and through snow covered fields with camera/lens. You must be able to carry your gear without assistance. There will be no exceptions to these requirements.
Participants will be required to sign the Kathleen Reeder Wildlife Photography Risk Waiver.
Join professional wildlife photographers/instructors Kathleen Reeder and Marc Latremouille for an incredible 6 night/5-day photo workshop near Ottawa, Canada to photograph snowy owls. We are excited to offer you the opportunity to get close and personal with these magnificent owls. There is EXCLUSIVE LAND ACCESS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY, which means it’s only us and the owls, no other photographers permitted. We will be photographing in various winter conditions: It is not uncommon to be out in blizzard like conditions, heavy and light snow, cloudy, foggy or sunny days. This variety of weather, landscape and lighting conditions, in addition to the in-depth knowledge of the owls, will provide you with the opportunity to create a diverse, creative and professional portfolio of this species. Mother nature will dictate the weather including the amount of snow.
A portion of the proceeds are going to support the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario.
- An informative online webinar presentation that covers wildlife photography composition tips, camera settings, recommended gear including cold weather clothing, and an illustrative slideshow of snowy owl photos taken by Kathleen and Marc to prepare you to maximize your camera’s potential while shooting.
- 5 full days of shooting, providing the ideal amount of time to fine tune your skills, see many owls in different settings and come away with superb images.
- Migration is full of surprises. Great Grey owls, Northern Hawk owls, Boreal owls and other northern species have been known to winter in this area. Every year the adventure is different. We will adapt to optimize photographic opportunities.
- Group size is limited to 5 participants so you’ll have plenty of time with Kathleen and Marc to ask questions and get coaching specific to your individual photographic needs.
- Marc is an Ottawa resident and has expert knowledge of the owls and their behavior.
- Pre-trip online photography instruction webinar
- Pre-trip planning handout
- 6 nights single supplement lodging at the B&B located on the private property. Plan to arrive in Ottawa on Jan 17, 2021 and depart on Jan 23, 2021.
- Transportation during the workshop
- Full breakfast every morning
- Airfare to Ottawa, Canada
- Lunches and dinners
- Transportation between the airport and B&B
- Trip Insurance