North American Black Bears Photo Workshop
Join professional wildlife photographer Kathleen Reeder for this exclusive 3-day photo workshop at Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary. Emphasis will be on helping you to capture incredible photographs of black bears of all sizes and ages in their natural environment, and giving you as much time as possible with the bears. This workshop provides an amazing in-field photographic experience. Participants must 18+ years old to attend workshop.
The Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary is 500+ acres of North Woods habitat in Minnesota, ideal for black bears and other widlife. It is located about two hours northwest of Duluth. Vince Shute habituated generations of bears frequenting the Sanctuary unintentionally, as he tried to find a way to peacefully coexist with his forest neighbors. Vince fed the bear for more than 25 years. The feeding continues today as a means of preserving the extraordinary opportunities this unique situation provides. It allows the American Bear Association to educate the visiting public about the natural history of the American black bear and all natural resources. In addition, it allows the Association to offer you the change to photograph this normally shy and reclusive animal.
- An informative online webinar presentation in advance of the workshop that covers wildlife photography composition tips, camera settings and recommended gear. It will also include and illustrative slideshow of photos with camera settings taken by Kathleen at the Sanctuary to prepare you to maximize your camera’s potential while shooting.
- 3 full-days access to photograph black bears and other wildlife on ground level, not available to the public. The most common lens used is a 70-200mm.
- Two evening classes before and during the workshop.
- Post processing demonstration and review/critique of photos.
- Workshop size is limited to 6 participants so you’ll have plenty of one-on-one time with Kathleen to ask questions and get coaching specific to your individual photographic needs.
- American Bear Association introductory session on bear safety, bear behavior, history and mission of the organization, black bear natural history
- Pre-trip online photography instruction webinar
- 3 full days access to the Santuary ground level property, as well as the viewing deck; includes all Sanctuary fees and water throughout the days
- Instruction and assistance before and throughout the workshop
- Evening post processing demonstration and photo critiques
- Signed copy of Kathleen’s book: Capturing the Moment, The Art & Science of Photographing Wild Animals
- Airfare – Recommend flying into Minneapolis or Duluth, MN
- Lodging – Recommend Oveson’s Pelican Lake Resort & Inn in Orr, MN (218-757-3613)
- Ground transportation